Thursday, February 16, 2012

FOR EVERY FASHIONISTA(O)

 I came across this write up on chictopia and I'll just like to share it with you all. It's called how to wear confidence

 "The glue that pulls an outfit together is often just confidence and attitude." —Mr. Newton, street style photographer
Confidence is all psychological. It’s defined as “a feeling of self-assurance arising from one’s appreciation of one’s own abilities or qualities.” If you ask me, that was a quite redundant, but the repetitiveness actually proves my point: it says that confidence comes from someone’s admiration of themselves. That means that you don’t have to rely on anyone else to tell you that they like your outfit, or that your hair looks pretty, or that lipstick compliments your skin tone, for it to be true. This is all a bit vague—let me explain. It’s story time!
I recently picked up my copy of Classy by Derek Blasberg, Editor at Large of Harper’s Bazaar magazine (remember it from this list?). Hands down, it was one of the best purchases I made this year. Even after only reading a few pages, I came to the realization that Mr. Blasberg and I are very similar in at least one way: we are both highly disappointed and dismayed by the lady to tramp ratio in modern society. Being a teenager, I’m right at the heart of this cultural abomination. Girls in my school (and any high school, for that matter) tend to dress as though they’re headed to strip club as opposed to science class. People have this fascinating idea that they need to dress and act promiscuously in order to be self-confident. I said fascinating as opposed to “wrong” because there are a surprising amount of people out there who truly believe this, and I would feel impolitic in directly disagreeing with an opinion. However, I will say that it’s difficult to feel assertive in a big sweater anymore when there are teenage prostitutes every where you look. Don’t get me wrong, I respect the fact that dressing in this way is some women’s personal style, but I’ve noticed that it’s rare to find ladies with a distinguished sense of style nowadays. Such females that do have a personal flair stand out and may put themselves in a spotlight that they’re not ready for. Correction: one they think they’re not ready for. I’m here to tell you how you can rock your most important and least expensive accessory: confidence.

Stay true to your style.
The biggest mistake that people make is to try and dress like someone else. It doesn’t matter that I want to look like Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen all the time, or wear those incredible harem jeans from Scotch & Soda, because I honestly don’t think either of those fit me. Those jeans are debatable, but that’s not the point. So if you admire the way one of your friends dresses, or maybe a celebrity, you should do just that—admire. If you go out of your way to buy things that aren’t really you, you’re going to feel uncomfortable wearing them. I know that if I were to go outside in something short or tight, I would feel extremely uneasy the entire time, and people would see that projected outwardly. You may not realize it, but when you feel awkward, you usually act awkward. To avoid that, wear clothing you’re comfortable in, mentally and physically.
  
CONTINUE READING ON EVERYBODY IS UGLY

SOURCE: CHICTOPIA

KISSES!!!!