Tuesday, April 10, 2012

MENANYE DONKOR COVERS NEW AFRICAN WOMAN. READERS FEEL IT'S NOT "AFRICAN" ENOUGH


 Milan Based Ghanaian Model and philanthropist Menaye Donkor graces the cover of New African Woman Magazine's April/May Cover. She looks Stunning in a sparkling piece and that ring on her finger is to die for. However, Some of the Magazine's readers feel that Menaye does not embody an "African" Woman on the cover and doesn't deserve to be on it. Here is a message from one of the readers said to be an Editor to Regina of New African Woman
 “Hello Regina …to tell u the truth …it (the cover) is not representative to black beauty African beauty, the major criticism we have is that the girl don t look like black African girls too perfect and white, I FIND IT not very nice… putting perfect looking girls in front of covers!”

 I find it hard to believe that this woman is the editor of a magazine, firstly, she needs to learn how to make a point without sounding confused. Secondly, her statement made no sense, What is She trying to say? African girls can't be perfect? Finally, I'm going to need her and other self righteous "Africans" to stop trying to define what an African Woman should look like. 
 Menaye Donkor is a stunning Ghanaian Woman/Model and can be on as many Magazine covers as she likes, African or not. Here is what the model had to say.

 “I am surprised to hear such ignorant remarks in this modern world that we live in. I thought people were much more educated and not so shallow minded to generalize and make such comments. My question then sums up to: What African is? And How an African should look? I am a true African woman born and raised in Ghana by Ghanaian parents and amazing Ghanaian heritage. I therefore cannot understand why the colour of my skin would make me less of a good role model for other African women. It doesn’t matter how dark or light my skin is, I’m proud of my culture and I am proud to be representing Africa.  Are we forgetting there are 54 countries in Africa and not all the people are dark skinned as it varies across the continent with some populations naturally darker than others? The focus here should not be the colour of one’s skin or how they look but rather how we as Africans can unite to build a stronger future for our children.”

What do you think? 

KISSES!!!